Thursday, January 8, 2009

Rabbit Rabbit

Does anyone make New Years resolutions anymore? Most resolutions are almost cliches, (get in better shape, get out of debt, learn something new) they're unoriginal, and unwittingly bringing scorn upon the resolutioner. The idea of resolving to accomplish something simply because of tradition seems so uninspired. But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here (hehe) when I denounce this often vilified tradition.

However, in keeping with the writing goal of actually having a point to my blog posts, I pose this question. Do you readers ever wish to reform yourselves, maybe even minutely, at the start of a new year? Perhaps resolutions come not from foresight, but reflection. Everyone assesses the passing year, usually with a "phew, I'm glad 200- is over". My 2008 reflections were candidly pleasant, and it was the only year in memory that I felt soundly satisfied with. This aside, as 2009 breaks upon us I wonder what my life would be like if I did some things a little differently.

1 comment:

Jesse Arlen said...

I think that New Year's Resolutions show the modern world what every philosopher and moralist in the history of forever has learned and known...that even when we know what is right to do, and even when we aim to make ourselves better we will fail. Knowing what is right, and doing what is right are two very different things. We wonder why there is "so much evil in the world" and "where it comes from" and politicians talk about "eradicating all the evil" from the world...they do not know that evil runs through the middle of each and everyone of us...of course, the way some politicians go about their policy-making, they do seem to be trying to eradicate all the evil (by destroying the species...haha...I guess that's not a laughing matter, but it is ironic)