Wednesday, August 20, 2008

On Writing

I enrolled in a creative writing class at Cuesta. I used to shudder at the thought of a writing class because that would leave my work exposed and vulnerable to the red pen of the instructor. I know that just one person's opinion is not the end-all decision of the value of my work, but I've always been afraid that my arrangement of words and spinning of ideas is just average. For the class we'll be expected to create several short stories, poems and smaller miscellaneous writing exercises. I can feel the palpitations of anxiety welling in myself as I imagine submitting my attempts at good fiction. I attempt to write often, but I have more ideas for stories than time or drive to write them. I suppose I've always known that I should be a writer, but do I write well?

No comments: