Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Book hunt


I've been reading this new series of books that took forever to get a hold of. I was recommended the "The Mortal Instruments" trilogy, which begins with the volume "City of Bones". The books follow our hero Clary as she navigates a New York populated with demons, vampires, pixies, and really every other fantasy creature you can think of.

So, in my hunt for a new read I hit up the local Borders. I wondered around that dang store countless times but all I could find were volumes two and three! Of course, what do you know, owing to my impeccable taste, I'd selected an unexpectedly popular title that had flown off the shelves in the past weekend. Upon asking a friendly looking Borders employee for help, he re-rummaged through the shelf and with a glimmer in his eye said, "No we're all out, but come with me." I scampered behind his lead, twisting through bookshelves and aisles, till he stopped, arms proudly spread, presenting me with a table piled high with tween-age vampire romance novels. "This one has been particularly popular", he said, laying in my hands "Midnight Fangs", whose cover looked like a Harlequin romance cover, but with, you know, half naked models with fangs. I shuffled, bookless, out of the store, feeling a bit insulted.

Next stop, Barnes and Noble downtown. Same scenario; a teen fiction bookshelf piled, stacked, and double parked with volumes two and three! Forlorn and discouraged, I passed the B&N version of the "Vampire Romance" teaser table. On it were scattered paperbacks decorated with pictures of creepy dark rimmed eyes, seductive fanged grins, and the cover of volume one, City of Bones? Yes readers, I'd found my prize where I least expected to be rewarded. There were only two copies left! And when I returned today for volume two, the first volume was all sold out.

2 comments:

Mike J said...

I somehow missed out on the entire vampire romance genre. We badly needed you in Bama, where we often discussed vampire boyfriends. Apparently they're hot right now? And I'm also really old and out of touch?

Jules said...

Really?? I would highly recommend them. Both the genre, not vampire boyfriends, that is. But it's a little embarrassing to be seen buying them, so I'd recommend something discrete like amazon :)

I really wish I could have gone to Alabama, but I didn't even know anyone was going until a few days before :( Hopefully I get to see you before, oh, Andy's wedding? ? ?