Monday, September 1, 2008

Book of the Week

My dad once told me that all successful people read -- and that if I wished to be so, I should read a book a week. Luckily for me, I just can't stay away from the darned things, but I often wonder if I'm not reading enough when I fail to meet the weekly mark. The last book I read, Eldest, (completed last night in anticipation of Brisingr!), took nearly two weeks for me to thumb through its pages.

Now I have my choice of materials, and I chose a collection of short ghost stories by Charles Dickens that I found at the Chico used book store. It includes the most famous ghost story, A Christmas Carol, but also holds some other really unique, clever characters in its tales of ghosts and ghoulies. More than any other author, Dickens transports me into the world he creates in his writing, and I can't wait to return again to his dusty offices, graveyards and decrepit manors in Victorian England.

No comments: