Monday, September 15, 2008

Secrets

I'm working on a short story, which is the first assignment of any consequence in my writing class, and I'm really excited about it. But I don't want to share a peep of what I have planned to write. This brings me to something I've thought a great deal about lately-the importance of secrets. I have never been able to keep a secret about myself. I'll often admonish myself to keep some detail of my life a secret as I'm driving up to a friends house or about to step into work. But every time my lips betray me, and the minute I confide in someone about that latest (insert exciting thing here), I feel immediately cheapened and I know that it is all my doing.

So, here forth I vow to keep secrets, beginning with my latest short story masterpiece, but this will branch to all areas of my life: thoughts, discoveries, romance, conflicts. Of course I still relish sharing stories with you loyal readers and all my friends, but there is something to be said for keeping little gems and snippets of your daily life to yourself, to guard and kindle.

"The holiest of all holidays are those kept by ourselves in silence and apart; The secret anniversaries of the heart."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments: